Deutsche Schule Hermannsburg
Deutsch


The "Deutsche Schule Hermannsburg" (or Hermannsburg School) is located in the hamlet of Hermannsburg on the northeastern fringe of the Natal Midlands between Greytown and Kranskop.

Be sure to visit the official Webpage of the Deutsche Schule Hermannsburg.

History:

Hermannsburg School is the oldest of the German Private Schools in South Africa, having been established in 1856.

Hermannsburg in South Africa was founded in 1854 by missionaries of the Hermannsburg Missionary Society in Germany, who built the Mission house shown alongside (which today houses the Museum). The missionaries soon felt the need to establish a school and within a few years this school was well known throughout the colony of Natal, attracting many German and non-German scholars. It is said that General Louis Botha, coresponsible for the establishment of the Union of South Africa in 1910, is an old-scholar of the school as well.

Over the years, the school has had many ups and downs, especially during the world wars when Germans were not well received in the British colonies. But it has managed to continue the education of young people without missing a single year. Today it has about 200 scholars. Hermannsburg School is a private school, which receives grants from both the German and the South African governments, but it largely owes its existence to the support of the local German community. While it still has a strong German flavour and close ties to the Lutheran church (ELKSA (NT)), it is open to all.

Some old-scholars and past teachers of Hermannsburg School might remember it as HMB.

Contact Details
Address: Deutsche Schule Hermannsburg, P.O.Hermannsburg, 3258, South Africa
Telephone: +27-74-125-0054, Email


Home & Search | Germans in SA | Genealogy | ELKSA (NT) | Schools & Institutions | Books | Webmaster